It’s normal that in your first days using braces you feel so uncomfortable, in Dental Láser we know it, so we’ll tell you 5 little secrets for keeping out.
- Don’t move your lips a lot. Right after braces are placed, patients wants to move their lips a lot because it feels funny. Don’t do it. This will irritate the inside of your lips and create more discomfort than needed. Braces are not exactly smooth so don’t move your lips a lot.
2. Use wax and lots of it. Your orthodontist will give you lots of wax to place on your brackets and wires. Pay attention to areas inside your lips that are starting to feel raw. Place a large amount of wax in that area and keep it there over a long period of time, days. Slowly your lips will get use to the braces and will toughen up. Then you won’t need the wax as much. Wax in the beginning of treatment is a very nice friend. Before eating, you can try to remove the wax but usually it is warm and soft and hard to remove. Just leave it. If you eat the wax, it won’t hurt you.
3. Use soft foods. Think of soft foods that you like to eat. Make sure you pack them in your lunch. If you take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, cut the sandwich into four pieces because your front teeth may be so sore that you can’t tear the sandwich into small parts to eat.
4. Don’t sleep on your face. Some patients sleep on their stomach. If you do, you will push your lips into your braces causing sore teeth and lips. Try to sleep on your side or back to avoid placing pressure on your lips and braces.
5. Don’t pick at your braces. Patients who pick at their braces are called “brace pickers.” Brace pickers try to lessen their discomfort by removing the wires or bending them. If the wire is not in place, your teeth are not moving. Don’t touch or pick at your braces. Leave them alone. If you do pick at your braces, your time with the braces will greatly increase and you won’t get them off in the normal period of time.